Welcome back to the One Room Challenge, Week...can you even believe this...SIX! It's crazy to think that today would have been the big reveal if the challenge hadn't been extended by a week. We've definitely needed every minute of the extra time! A ton was accomplished in the last 7 days. We completed all the grout and caulking, installed unglamorous things like the toilet and tissue paper holder, and are half way done installing one very glamorous thing: Our beautiful glass and chrome console sink!
Here was the start of the grouting project (can I just say again that grout is the devil?)
I decided to take a little risk and choose an off-white grout for some contrast with our bright white tiles. (The color is called "antique white" from The Tile Shop). With the entire bottom half of the room clad in tile, I didn't want it to look like a plain white sheet. I'm not unhappy with the result, but I also don't think it was necessary in the end. It has a bit of a vintage look, like the tile's been there forever, which I do like. But the caulk that was supposed to match exactly (also Antique White from The Tile Shop) doesn't match at all. It's much darker, so the trim lines and the corners have a lot more contrast than I wanted. Super disappointed with that product. Again, it doesn't look bad...I just think in hindsight standard white grout would have looked just as good, and then the caulk wouldn't be noticeably different. But, this is why we experiment with our own houses!
Once the walls were done, we installed the toilet! I know this is the part of the bathroom that's the least Pinterest worthy, but of all the things we did in here, this was the one I was the most excited about. Anyone who has potty trained toddlers without a bathroom on the main floor of their home knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about.
Ta Da! My free door prize Kohler Memoirs toilet finally has a home. No leaks, and it flushes. We literally had a ribbon cutting ceremony the day it became functional.
After that, more unglamorous (and terrifying) work requiring drilling into all that new beautiful tile to install the TP holder.
According to the internet (Ryan's resource for how to do all of this), ceramic tile is the WORST to drill into of any material, because it's so hard and prone to cracking. Figures. He ended up finding a drill bit that worked really well- the Bosch Natural Stone Tile Bit Set NS2000. He says that the internet scared him to death but it was a total piece of cake to drill. So, either that drill bit was amazing, or the internet lied. (My money is on both of those things being true).
My favorite part about having a DIY-savvy husband (besides saving money to spend on pretty sinks) is that I have a whole new understanding of, and appreciation for, the work our contractors do on client projects. This sink was an absolute beast to install.
The first thing we had to do was fit all of the glass tubes together so that we could figure out the placement (and where to drill the holes to secure it to the wall and floor). We put it together and set it in place but the whole thing wobbled and creaked and threatened to shatter every time we touched it. If you want to know what the construction of the sink feels like before it's anchored to the wall, just build a model out of toothpicks and mini marshmallows, and that'll be about right.
After very patiently tweaking, adjusting, leveling, and double-checking, we decided exactly where the sink should be placed. We put blue tape on the floor and walls and traced circles around the sink legs and mounting plates to mark where the holes would be drilled. The precision needed for these decisions practically gave me an ulcer!
Ryan started by securing the wall mounting plates.
Next he had to drill tiny holes in the floor. Each leg has a screw at the end of the ball foot that slips into this hole to hold the legs in place.
After the holes were drilled and the mounting brackets secured on the wall, we brought the assembled sink frame back into the room. We put the feet into place first and then lifted up and placed the bars into the mounting brackets on the wall. I expected the worst, but that part was fairly easy. Then there are some screws at each joint you have to tighten to make sure nothing wobbles. And then you can finally breathe!
And that's where we are now! We set the top in place just to see if it was level (yes, thank goodness). Still left to do is install sink and faucet, towel bar, mirror and sconces. Oh, and heh, one tiny little detail...the wallpaper!! I just got a call at 8:30 tonight that the wallpaper installer is planning to be here on Friday afternoon. I *might* have teared up a little. Only one week to go! Next Thursday the 16th is our final reveal. I'm picking up peonies on Saturday and the photographer comes Monday. Wish us luck in this final stretch, and be sure to come back next week!
Until then, say hi to the other guest participants sweating to the finish line with us!