Welcome back to the One Room Challenge, Week 5! While last week's progress felt sluggish, this week we were cooking with gas. Ryan and I (yes, he actually let me help) knocked out all the wall tile. It looks beautiful!
The process was certainly tedious, and it took a solid 3-day weekend, but I'm so glad we did it. I've been dreaming of this room for such a long time, and it's beyond thrilling to see it finally come together.
This was the moment we took a deep breath and started...
Ryan installed a ledger board around the perimeter of the room at the base, so we started with the second row of tiles. This was to keep all the tile level as we worked our way up the walls. It worked WONDERS. After all is said and done the tiles are 100% perfectly level around the entire room. You can even set the level on top of the ledge on one wall, and lay it across to the top of the ledge on another wall and yep, it's level. Such a great trick, thank you internet.
We established a system where Ryan ran back and forth to the garage cutting tile, and I stayed in the bathroom applying the mortar and setting the tiles into place.
Fun new fact I learned about myself: The sound of tile spacers falling out and going "plink" onto the floor literally drives me insane. It's like nails on a chalkboard, only worse because it means your lines aren't straight and your entire wall is going to look like garbage. I may have been overheard screaming "UGH!!! Dang you tile spacer!!!!" every time one of the little buggers went for a dive.
We worked on one wall at a time, all the way to the trim, and then started another. The last step was to remove the ledger board and place the bottom row of tile along the floor.
This last row was really slow going as each tile had to be set in place, numbered, and pre-cut. The floor isn't level (apparently floors rarely are) so every tile was cut along the bottom to be a different size.
And then it was done! I really love how the trick of using a row of pencil tile to mimic skirting turned out.
So glad this part is behind us! In the next couple of days we'll apply the grout (I'm thinking an off-white to add a tiny bit of contrast) and then the finish line will really be in sight. We'll just need to install the sink and toilet and we'll have a functioning powder room! I can't wait. Oh, and in other good news, I heard back from the wallpaper installer- finally- and he PROMISES he'll be here to hang it on November 11th or before. Fingers crossed.
Time to hop back over to Linda's and see how our fellow guest participants are faring this week- and we'll see you back here next Thursday!