Blue is a huge trend in interiors at the moment- from bright and electric, to green-tinged teals, to dusty and moody, blue is having a heyday in every hue.
One way to incorporate this trend and guarantee its staying power is to go with a classic navy. Whether layered with coordinating trim, or sitting against a crisp white, you just can't go wrong with navy.
If you're looking for a place to start, grab a few of these swatches:
Here are some tips for working with this rich color:
- Always buy a sample can so that you can test the paint in your space.
- The choice will be clearer if you have at least one large piece for your room first- a rug, a sofa, a painting- that you can coordinate with.
- Consider painting trim, moulding, baseboards, backs of doors, and other millwork the same shade of navy as your walls. With this color, a treatment like this looks modern and chic.
- Navy also looks fabulous in a semi-gloss or even high-gloss finish. (Normally walls are egg-shell). Be careful that you have very smooth walls underneath if you decide to try this!
- Do not be afraid to use navy in a small space. It can be wonderfully enveloping.
- You don't have to accessorize with sea coral and sailboats. Try a brass floor lamp, a caramel leather sofa, or some boho textiles for a casual feel, or offset the dark paint with crystal and white velvet for a glamorous look.
- For just a dose without a lot of commitment, consider painting the backs of interior doors or closet doors- major drama that is easily changed if you tire of it!